Headlines

  Biofuels

  Grain Products

  Speakers Bureau

  Legislative Action

  Checkoff Program

  Scholarships

  Membership

  More Information

 

 
 
 

HomeAbout UsHContact UsoSite Map 

Maryland Farmers Protect the Bay Every Day
       

Welcome

Farmers Surpass 2016 and 2017 Bay Goals

The results of the 2013 Bay Model progress run have been released and Maryland agriculture is doing great! We have already surpassed the 2017 interim goal for sediment loss reduction and have nearly achieved the 2017 goals for nitrogen and phosphorous reduction. Thanks to the hard work and conservation efforts of our farmers, agriculture as a sector is outpacing other sectors such as septic and urban storm water in reaching our goals.  Read more

horizontal rule

The Facts are In

Did you know that China raises the second most corn, following the U.S.?  Or that ethanol is only produced from the starch of the corn kernel, so the remainder is made into a high protein animal feed and corn oil? The 2013 World of Corn report is now available.  Read more

horizontal rule

Maryland Farm & Harvest Captivates Audience 

The new series about Maryland farmers, Maryland Farm & Harvest, launched on November 19th and has become the talk around the water cooler as viewers see what goes on to produce their food, fiber, energy and more. Tune in on Tuesdays at 7:00 pm.  Miss an episode or want a preview of next week's show?  Visit www.mpt.org/farm to see more. 

horizontal rule

MDA Withdraws Phosphorus Management Tool Regulations

The Maryland Department of Agriculture (MDA) announced it will withdraw its proposed regulations to implement the new Maryland Phosphorus Management Tool (PMT) from consideration by the Joint Committee on Administrative, Executive, and Legislative Review (AELR). This action also cancels the AELR hearing on the regulation scheduled for Wednesday, Nov. 20.   Read more

horizontal rule

See the winning entries for our "Maryland Farmers Protect the Bay Every Day" bumper sticker contest!

The votes have been counted and the winners selected. See if yours made the top three!  Read more

horizontal rule

Gas prices on the rise - check out these 10 ways to save fuel

Junk in your trunk? The rule of thumb is for every extra 100 pounds, the vehicle uses an extra 1 mpg.  A clogged air filter can decrease gas mileage by up to 10%.  Read more

horizontal rule

What is at the heart of the Food and Fuel discussion?

The Council of Economic Advisers estimates the total global increase in corn-based ethanol production accounts for only about 3 percent of the recent increase in global food prices.  So what is the other 97% causing the price increases?   Read more

horizontal rule

GET THE FACTS on Alternative Fuels

Maryland Clean Cities offers a brief summary of Alternative Fuels  Read more

A Tale of Two Corns describes the difference between field corn and sweet corn you eat  Read more

Using New Technologies to Feed and Fuel the World  Read more

Top 10 Myths about Corn and Ethanol  Read more

Speakers Bureau now offers Biofuels: Fueling America’s Energy Needs through Agriculture  Read more

horizontal rule

Maryland Grain Farmers Award $1.3 Million in Grants and Elect New Officers to Board

The Maryland Grain Producers Utilization Board (MGPUB) has awarded over $1.3 million to organizations across the state to increase the profitability and viability of Maryland grain production, expand the utilization of grain, and to improve the understanding of agriculture.  Grant funding is made possible through the Maryland grain checkoff program, whereby grain farmers contribute funds to support market development, education, and research.  Read more

horizontal rule

How much have your wages grown?    500%?     800%?    5,000%?

horizontal rule

Crop Production Stays Green

Much has been in the news with corn prices at the $5/bushel mark, focusing on worst-case “what if” scenarios as ethanol “takes over” the corn supply. However farmers are staying grounded in the best management practices they know that will provide a sustainable future.   Read more

 

 
 
Calendar

Check out the new MPT Maryland Farm & Harvest series on Tuesdays,
7 pm

FFV Awareness
What's an FFV?
Do I have one?

Click here
& find out

Find FFV Stations

 
 
 

News | Using Grain | Ethanol/E85 | Speakers Bureau | Checkoff Program | Legislative Action | Scholarships
Home | Membership | Calendar | For More Info | Contact | Email Webmaster  

Copyright 2007 Maryland Grain Producers. All rights reserved